Sunday, April 27, 2008

1st Tax Season is over!

Well, I officially made it through my first tax season! Not without incident, of course. As many of you know, two weeks before the end of tax season I got very sick. That Sunday (March 30th), Jay was working a shift and Kendall and I were watching a movie and my lower abdomen starting hurting. It felt similar to the way menstrual cramps feel, but since it wasn't that time. I knew that wasn't what I was experiencing. I made it through the day, but could not sleep that night. I was literally bent over in pain and was trying not to wake up Jay, because he had another shift that Monday and had to be up at 4:30 am. I almost woke him up to take me to the ER, but I figured the pain would cease and I would be fine. I woke up to my alarm at 5:30 and could not function. I had been up about every hour that night and knew there was no way I was up for a full day of work, so I called and left a message for my boss and let her know that I that I was up all night and was going to sleep for a couple of hours and hopefully be in at around 10:00. I slept until 8:00 and got up and was extremely nauseous and started vomiting. I knew then that work that day was out of the question, no matter how busy it was. I felt terrible, leaving my coworkers hanging like that, but I just couldn't do a thing about it. I was in a lot of pain all day and when Kendall came home at 3:35 and hugged me, she told me I felt really warm. I took my temperature and it was 100 degrees (my normal is 97.4) and I knew something was wrong. I was up again all night and had major night sweats and in the morning I told Jay I needed to go to the doctor. So, I called into work (again) and let my boss know I was going to the doctor to find out what was going on. Jay was working from home that day so he called the base and they told me they wouldn't be able to get me in until Thursday so we should go to Urgent Care. They took my temp and blood pressure and asked me some questions and gave me a cup for a urine test. Jay and I both found this odd, since we figured it was something going on with my stomach since that's where the pain was, but as it turns out, I had a bladder infection that had gone into my kidneys. I never had any bladder infection symptoms, so I was shocked! They gave me an antibiotic shot (ouch!) and a prescription for Cipro and told me they wanted me back the next day to check on me. We had to wait about 20 minutes to make sure my body didn't have an adverse affects to the shot and then went home and I rested and Jay went and picked up my prescription for me. I had another rough night but felt significantly better the next morning. We called the base again and they wanted to see me there instead of at Urgent Care so we went to the base and they said that unless I my symptoms got worse, they didn't need to see me again. I thought for sure I'd be back at work on Thursday, but Thursday morning I got up and took my antibiotics and didn't realize I could not take them on an empty stomach and I was nauseous and vomiting again, so I had to call work and tell them it would be one more day without me. Fortunately, they were extremely understanding and so gracious with me. It really showed me what a great team of people I am working with.

I am much, much better now and just want to mention that if your body is telling you something is wrong, you need to listen. I am not one to run to the doctor every time I get the sniffles, but this time I knew something was wrong and had I not gone when I did, I would have ended up in the hospital and been out of work even longer.

I'm happy to say I made it back to work that Friday and although I was tired at the end of the day, I survived! I made it through the next week with flying colors and although it was INSANELY busy, everyone worked together really well and I was so impressed at how people chip in and help each other out. It's so nice to be on a team with people that are willing to do what it takes and no one has that "that's not my job" mentality.

We closed early on April 15th and had a party at the home of one of the Partners. She has a beautiful home in Ballard with a lap pool and huge patio and a bridge with a wonderful sitting area and a garden shed that looks like a cottage! We had trip-tip, chicken, beans, salad, bread, chips and guacamole and chocolate covered strawberries. I had such a great time and even though I got a terrible sunburn (leave it to me) it was the perfect way to end tax season.

The office was closed on the 16th so I got some maintenance done on my car, got my hair colored, and went shoe shopping :).

Since I've been back, the atmosphere is completely different. All of the per diem staff is gone, the phone is much quieter, and we're all working at a much different pace and although the excitement of tax season is invigorating, I must say it is nice to be able to breath when I'm at work. We're starting to interview for the front desk position now, so I will be able to move on and learn some new things and I am very excited! The front desk was a great place for me to start out, but I am ready to move on now. I can't wait to see what the next chapter brings!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm glad you are feeling better. I can't wait to see where they move you at work!



Blog Widget by LinkWithin