Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Grandma Z's Spiced Pineapple

A couple of months ago my Mom sent me an envelope filled with some of her favorite recipes. Many of them have Mom's or Grandma's handwriting on them, or cards Mom typed up with our old typewriter. I don't know that I will make many of the recipes because many are high in calories or just not to our taste, but so many of them I treasure because they bring back childhood memories. One of the most precious to me is Grandma's spiced pineapple. Every year for Thanksgiving, Grandma would make her pineapple and we all go so excited to dig in! I thought I would share it with you and perhaps you can make some memories of your own.

2 1/2 cans pineapple chunks
3/4 c vinegar
1 1/4 c granulated sugar
dash of salt
6-8 whole cloves
1 4" cinnamon stick

Day ahead - drain syrup from pineapple chunks to 3/4 c syrup, add vinegar, sugar, salt, cloves and cinnamon. Heat 10 minutes. Add pineapple chunks. Bring to a boil. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Drain pineapple, serve ice cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin