Sunday, May 24, 2009

Virginia 2009

A few months ago (before this move was even planned), I got an email from Travelocity advertising some great deals flying into Roanoke, VA. By the time I got some dates finalized and approved by the family, I missed the deal, but was able to get an even better deal from Expedia flying into Greensboro, NC, which is 98 miles from my sister's house. If we had known about the move at the time, I never would have planned the trip, but the timing actually turned out to be perfect. It was a great break for me from all of the decision-making, house repairs, organizing, and general stress that comes with any big move.
I flew out on Saturday 05/09 and had a 2 hour layover in Chicago. I had a salad and watched A Walk to Remember on my IPod and got into Greensboro at around 9:15pm. Mom and D2 picked me up from the airport and we went back to their home and I got a tour of the house, which was really fun for me, since I had only seen the house in pictures. We had some popcorn and I was finally tired enough to read for a few minutes and get some sleep. The next day was Mother's Day, so we went to church and then back to Sandi and Aaron's for some Bratwurst and a wonderful visit with the munchkins, who had grown tremendously since I had last seen them. I was so blessed that they all knew me (including TJ, who was only 2.5 the last time I saw him and is going to turn 4 on 06/06) and greeted me with open arms. After the BBQ, Chrissi came back with me to Nana and Papa's house and we had dinner and watched Sabrina and had a slumber party.
On Monday, Nana took us bowling and to the flower shop where she works so that we could meet her boss and co-workers. We went back to the Bunn's and TJ and I built a house out of Lego's and Sam built some planes with his Star Wars Legos that he got for his birthday Sandi and I had some great sister time and stayed up all hours of the night talking.
On Tuesday Sandi and I hung out until it was time to pick up the kinds from school and daycare and then Nana came over and we went to McDonald's and met Julie and Brian and Noah for dinner and for the kids to play in the Playland. Wednesday, Aaron took off work so he and Sandi and I went and saw Wolverine and then went shopping at the mall and then picked up the kids and hung out with them for a while. Wednesday was our big day because after we spent a little time with the munchkins, Sandi and I went out for dinner and then to the 3 Doors Down concert. They are my favorite band and just happened to be playing at the Roanoke Civic Center during my trip and Sandi and Aaron surprised me with tickets (talk about a great surprise!) Sandi and I had a great time, despite the fact that we almost saw two fights break out....besides about 3 not so nice people, everyone else we were standing near (we were on the floor) were super friendly, wonderful folks. We even met a woman who was at the very front who pulled us up to the front with her. She saw me singing the words to every song and said that I deserved to be up there and she dragged Sandi up to be with me. The show was great and we even got guitar picks and some great photos.
Thursday the kids went to school and daycare and Nana came over and Sandi and Nana and the neighbor Stephanie and I went to lunch at this cute little restaurant called, "A Fork in the City." We had a great visit and some great food! That night, Nana and Papa and the Bunns and I went to Country Cookin' for dinner. No trip to Virginia is complete without a trip to Country Cookin'. TJ was so cute during dinner, he pointed across the table at me and told Sandi, "She's our new friend." I just thought that was so cute! We explained to him that I am Mommy's sister and Nana's my Mommy and he thought that was REALLY cool!
On Friday, Nana came over and we went to Walmart to do some grocery shopping and to buy birthday presents for the munchkins from Jay and I and the girls, since their birthdays are in May/June/July. We picked up the kids early from daycare and went back to the house and made tostadas and D2's brother Uncle Terry and his girlfriend Joan and cousin Kristy came over for dinner and a little combined birthday party for the kids. We wrestled and tickled and had so much fun!!!!
Saturday we went to Sam's t-ball game in the morning. He is a natural born athlete, I just loved watching him play and getting the chance to be there for a game was a real treat for me. After the game, unfortunately it was time for me to go to the airport. I was sad to leave, but felt so blessed that I had the opportunity for such a special visit. My family may be crazy but I love them EXACTLY as they are and would not change a thing!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like such a great visit! It would be so nice to see you guys!



Blog Widget by LinkWithin