Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bare Essentials

I have been battling a rash around my eyes since sometime in November. I had never experienced anything like it in my life. I hadn't changed skincare products, had not used new make-up, didn't change linens or laundry detergent, hadn't changed my diet....nothing had changed yet I had this inexplicable rash around my eyes. I went to my PCP and he prescribed some hydracortizone cream and told me to apply it twice a day. The rash redness and swelling would lessen, but the rash would never go away entirely. After several months the rash was still present and the flare-ups got worse. I called my PCP and he was booked solid, so he sent me to urgent care. I saw a MD there and he prescribed steroids and antibiotics. I took everything as prescribed and the symptoms lessened again, but then they came back worse than ever. After several weeks and lots of experimentation (stopped wearing make-up entirely, switched to all natural face wash, eye cream, eye make-up remover, changed the sheets on the bed from the flannel winter sheets to the cotton summer sheets, stopped washing my face with Dove in the shower....everything I could think of), I was beyond frustrated and discouraged. I was tired of having swollen skin around my eyes, tired of not being able to wear eye make-up, tired of not feeling beautiful. I had lost 15 pounds and fitting into my skinny jeans, but my eyes (my best feature) looked horrible. I called my PCP again and he gave me a referral to see a dermotologist. He sat down, asked me questions, talked to me, and made me feel important to him. I am not used to that treatment from Tricare doctors, but this doctor was special. After our conversation, he diagnosed me with a rare form of rosacea that normally affects the area around the mouth. I read the symptoms on the pamphlet he gave me and was confident he was right. He prescribed some medication and cream (non steroid cream) and now 3 weeks later it is almost completely gone and I have not had one flare-up. I go back to see him in a week and to give him a big hug!!!!

Along my journey to solve the problem on my own, I decided to try some all natural face care products. Perfume free, chemical free, gentle products that my sensitive, difficult skin would agree with. I decided to try the Bare Minerals skincare line. My dear friend Kim swore by it and I have heard nothing but positive reviews from friends and family using any Bare Minerals products.

Initially I thought it was just ok. The cleanser lathers real well and you only have to use a drop, but the moisturizer didn't feel like it was going to keep my skin from drying out. Well, after a couple of weeks I understand why Kim loves these products so much. My skin looks younger. It is softer, it is smoother, it is even toned and it feels clean all the time. I still haven't worn foundation since January (I had stopped to try to help my eyes heal) and now I don't even need it. I wear a little bit of powder and some blush and my skin looks fantastic. The products are a little more expensive than the OTC Oil of Olay products I was using, but they are well worth it. The cleanser will last forever because you have to use such a small amount, but I am going through the moisturizer quite rapidly. I use two pumps in the morning and two pumps in the evening. Living in Colorado requires me to use extra moisturizer on my skin but that is the case no matter what product I use.

I am not here to endorse products, but when I find something I especially like, I want to share it with others. And this is a skincare line that has made a huge difference in my skin. I am 40 years old and my skin doesn't look a day over 30. Part of that is genetics and sunscreen, but I honestly have noticed a huge difference since switching to Bare Minerals.

I hope you will give them a try!








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin