Monday, May 30, 2011

Masculine Card Idea

Why is that masculine cards are so difficult to design? Perhaps it's because of the abundance of floral patterned paper and gorgeous ribbon, elegant Prima flowers, and cutesy stamps? Sure you can make a masculine card out of some plaid paper (yawn) or just use some cardstock and a sentiment, but men deserve a card that required creativity as much as ladies do! I have had quite a few occassions recently where I needed a masculine card, so I have been flexing my creative muscles.

I made this card for my brother's birthday. He is not an army guy (although this card would be great for one!) but I wanted to make a masculine card for him and when I spotted this camouflage design in my Stars and Stripes Cricut cartridge, the idea struck me.

I started with some Sahara Sand cardstock from Stampin' Up! and then sponged on some Vintage Photo Distress ink to give it a dirty, sandy look. Then I cut the Camouflage pieces out of Always Artichoke cardstock from Stampin' Up! and then sponged the edges.

The dog tag was cut using the same cartridge, also out of Sahara Sand cardstock. After I cut the piece out, I used some Chocolate paint from a Ranger Spone Dauber and painted the entire piece, including the chain. Then I sprayed it with Caramel Apple Tattered Angels glimmer mist to give it a metalic look. The initials came from a sticker sheet from Basic Grey (Ambrosia collection.) They were a light cream color that almost had a pink tint to it, which obviously would not work on this macho card, so I painted them with some more Ranger paint using a paintbrush. I wanted them to have a bit of sparkle as well, so I painted them with some bronze Perfect Pearls. I was happy with the final results and will be playing with the images on this cartridge again soon!



Close-Up



Supplies
Cardstock - Stampin' Up!
Cricut Cartridge - Stars & Stripes
Paint - Ranger Industries
Glimmer Mist - Tattered Angels
Perfect Pearls - Ranger Industries
Stickers - Basic Grey
Ink - Ranger Industries

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin